Wednesday, August 22, 2012

#CollegePrep101: "Why So Serious?"

Why So Serious?
by Travis Skinner

I want to start by saying two things: first, take college seriously. God has gifted you with the opportunity to be His witness first in modern academia and eventually the world! These four years are precious so "Awake, O "College Student" sleeper and arise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you. Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time because the days are evil" (Eph 5:14-16).

Second, while you should take college seriously as a gift from God, don't take it too seriously. Here's my college horror story: I went to Montclair State University on a full ride! What can I say, I put in time in high school. Geek time hardcore. But for the first two years of college, I was all about keeping my GPA up in order to maintain the full ride. I ignored God for school work, I skipped out on InterVarsity meetings and slept in on Sunday mornings. Bedside Baptist, anyone? How about Pillow Presbyterian?

Well guess what? After two years of that, I physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually hit a wall! The stressing, the pressure I put on myself...I ended up making myself physically sick to the point where I couldn't make it to class. And my grades dropped as a result of being Sick and low in spirit...and all around unhealthyness. Eventually, I lost the full ride.

I was at a low point. And it was my fault. But God restored me, strengthened me, nursed me back to health and called me to be a minister to the campus! While that turned out great and for the glory of God, what I want you to understand is that you need to chill a bit! Get that time management down, get off Facebook, get in the Word, get on your knees in prayer, get around other Christians and let God do His perfect work in you. He always finishes the semester with an A in what He does.

Hit me up if you want to talk more about stress and all the stuff that goes with college. It is a privilege to be writing to you. God bless!

------------------------------------------------------------
About Travis
Hey! My name is Travis Skinner and I'm a Campus Staff Minister with InterVarsity Christian Fellowship. I'm currently serving at my alma-mater, Montclair State University (Montclair, New Jersey)! My wife and I met through this ministry and I am thrilled to be serving God through building up college students.


Social media: ivcfskinner@gmail.com
Facebook/YouTube page: ivcfmsu.


No comments:

Post a Comment