Thursday, September 8, 2011

QUEST Fall Semester 2011 Entry #14: "The Beauty of Surrender"

"I surrender all. I surrender all. All to Thee, my Blessed Savior, I surrender all." - "I Surrender All" Judson W. Van Deventer
The classic hymn of the Church, "I Surrender All" captures the heart of an intentional heart needing the Lord Jesus Christ. This song does not speak of religion; it speaks to relationship. Young adults live in a culture that does not look favorably on surrendering. The message in our world today is conquer and destroy. Conquer your fears, conquer your enemies, conquer and claim victory! The other destructive message is to destroy those who try to destroy you. Destroy the weak things and embrace all that appears to be strong. These messages are all around us. And when we hear anything about surrender, we tend to think of weakness, defeat and having no backbone.

When I think of the classic hymn cited above, I am convicted of the things that I have yet to surrender. If we were honest, there are areas of our lives that when examined closely, we have yet to give it up to the Lord. What is it that we have yet to yield to God? Is it the need for control? The insatiable appetite for affirmation and/or attention? Or could it be letting go of the fear that impedes growth? These questions require further examination and introspection. But, in order to embrace surrender, we must see the beauty in it. The beauty of surrender fulfills the Gospel truth in our lives that we are in need of a Savior.

One day, I remember driving and getting off an exit leading to the highway. This highway is busling with activity and the cars are maintaining a consistent speed. Before I could get on the highway, I needed to yield to the other cars. If I didn't, the probability of an accident or a catastrophic collision was higher. In order to get on the highway safely and to reach my destination, I had to yield. The same goes for us in our lives. If we are doing to reach our destiny, we must be willing to yield to the Person and The Gospel of Christ.

Blog Entry By: Ryan Faison (QUEST/YAM Director)

No comments:

Post a Comment